Well, I could have just copy/pasted the August 2014 result for September’s Performance of Manufacturing Index, with continued contraction across most manufacturing sub-sectors. The final result recorded was 46.5, which represents a 0.8 point reduction from August, with the three-month moving average coming in at 48.1.
Once thing that will have an impact on future results that hasn’t yet taken effect is the decrease in relative value of the Australian dollar to other currencies over the past few months.
PMI September 2014 Result
Two manufacturing sub-sectors expanded for August, whereas there were six sub-sectors that contracted for the same period.
- Food, beverages and tobacco (54.9)
- Wood and paper products (63.2)
- Textiles, clothing, footwear, furniture and other manufacturing (41.2)
- Printing and recorded media (35.9)
- Petroleum, coal, chemicals and rubber products (40.9)
- Non-metallic mineral products (44.7)
- Metal products (48.0)
- Machinery and equipment (45.1)
To download a two-page précis of the report, click here… PMI September 2014